Featured Chinese Recipe:
Stir Fried Vegetables
Chinese stir fried vegetables can be a tasty accompaniment to any meal or a meal on its own.
This is an an excellent way to make eating vegetables an enjoyable experience, aside from the obvious health benefits. The vegetables are cooked so quickly they retain more of their vitamin and mineral content than with the more traditional cooking methods.
You can place the vegetables on a bed of rice for a satisfying meal in itself.
1 inch green ginger
1 clove garlic
4-5 cups sliced vegetables (see below)
½ tsp cornflour
½ cup water
2 tsp soy sauce
4 tbsp peanut oil
salt to taste
1. Finely slice onions, cut ginger into thin slices and bruise garlic. (To do this, place garlic on a board, give a heavy blow with a knife, then remove skin).
2. Prepare vegetables as described below.
3. Blend cornflour in a little of the water, then add remaining water and the soy sauce.
4. Heat oil in a frying pan and add onion, ginger and garlic.
5. Cook gently until onion is transparent.
6. Discard ginger and garlic, then add vegetables.
7. Cook over a medium-high heat, stirring, for about 3 minutes.
8. Sprinkle water mixture over vegetables, toss well and season to taste with salt.
9. Cook for l-2 minutes until vegetables are tender but still crisp.
10. Serve immediately as a main course with steamed rice or as an accompaniment to grills.
Preparing the Vegetables:
Choose 2 or more fresh vegetables and prepare in the following way:
You can also add a cup of finely sliced chicken or beef to the ingredients if you wish. Cook them for several minutes with the onions, ginger and garlic before adding the vegetables.
- Sprouts: These can be purchased from Chinese food stores. Store in a bowl of water and before using wash well and drain. As they take little time to cook, add them to the pan for the last 1-2 minutes of cooking.
- Button mushrooms: Wipe with a cloth dipped in water with a good squeeze lemon juice added. Trim the stems and slice.
- Cabbage: Shred finely with a sharp knife.
- Carrots: Scrape, then cut into thin diagonal slices.
- Celery: Remove the strings, then cut into diagonal slices.
- Beans: Top and tail the beans, remove the strings and slice finely on the diagonal.
- Peppers: Use green or red peppers. Halve, remove the seeds and slice finely.
- Zucchini: Choose small zucchini, wash, drain and slice finely on the diagonal.
For more Chinese recipes, check out our Cooking Chinese Style collection.
American Food Recipe
Better Home And Garden Recipe
Betty Crocker Recipe
Brazilian Food Recipe
Cheese Cake Recipe
Chicken Breast Recipe
Chicken Crock Pot Recipe
Copycat Restaurant Recipe
Corn Beef And Cabbage Recipe
Easy Breakfast Recipe
Easy Crock Pot Recipe
Fat Free Recipe
Flourless Chocolate Cake
Fried Chicken Recipe
Fruit Pizza Recipe
Fun Kid Recipe
Haitian Food Recipe
Hamburger Meat Recipe
Irish Potato Recipe
Irish Soda Bread Recipe
Irish Stew Recipe
Italian Dessert Recipe
Lebanese Food Recipe
Left Over Ham Recipe
Low Carb Cheesecake Recipe
Mexican Food Recipe
Mexican Salsa Recipe
Persian Food Recipe
Philippine Food Recipe
Pizza Crust Recipe
Potato Pancake Recipe
Pound Cake Recipe
Puerto Rican Food Recipe
Seafood Chowder Recipe
Seafood Gumbo Recipe
Seafood Pasta Recipe
Southern Food Recipe
Spanish Dessert Recipe
Tuna Casserole Recipe
Vegetable Lasagna Recipe